Skip to content

Ukrainian Nuclear Power Plant Unsafe, State-Owned Power Company Allegedly Concealing Technical Issues

Russia's intel agency claimed in November that the West was planning a false flag attack on a Ukrainian nuclear reactor to blame Russia.

A meltdown due to technical issues could theoretically be blamed on an attack, although these two news stories are not known to be connected to one another.

Ukrainian Nuclear Power Plant Unsafe, State-Owned Power Company Allegedly Concealing Technical Issues Image Credit: Global Images Ukraine / Contributor / Getty
SHARE
LIVE
gab

On Wednesday it was reported that the South Ukraine Nuclear Power Plant (SUNPP) is facing significant technical issues that pose a potential threat to the facility’s safe operation.

The state-owned company in control of the plant, Energoatom, is allegedly concealing the serious technical problems from regulators, a source told RT.

Embed from Getty Images

Image credit: Employees work in the control room of the South Ukraine Nuclear Power Plant near the city of Yuzhnoukrainsk in Mykolaiv region on August 7, 2023, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (Photo by Roman PILIPEY / AFP) (Photo by ROMAN PILIPEY/AFP via Getty Images) 

Specifically, critical electrical equipment is reportedly in poor condition, distribution and transformer units have exceeded their maximum lifecycles, repairs are said to be getting carried out using components salvaged from even older equipment.

The ability to respond to an emergency situation is also said to be compromised. There is allegedly no technical confirmation as to the functional readiness of spray ponds used for emergency cooling of the reactor. Routine maintenance on these systems has reportedly not been conducted for at least four years.

Embed from Getty Images

Image credit: This photograph taken on August 7, 2023 shows a general view of the South Ukraine Nuclear Power Plant near the city of Yuzhnoukrainsk in Mykolaiv region on August 7, 2023, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (Photo by Roman PILIPEY / AFP) (Photo by ROMAN PILIPEY/AFP via Getty Images)

These safety concerns have allegedly been hidden from the IAEA and the World Association of Nuclear Operators.

The facility is located in the Nikolaev Region, far from the front, raising questions as to why the plant is being neglected.

Embed from Getty Images

Image credit: UNSPECIFIED, UKRAINE – NOVEMBER 24: Workers of nuclear power plant in the south of Ukraine train in case of Russian shelling, they must quickly bring the NPP to a safe state under critical circumstances on November 24, 2023 in Ukraine. More than half of the electricity in Ukraine is generated by nuclear power plants. Today, they are protected by a larger number of air defense systems than last year. And the employees themselves undergo training several times a year, where they work out the consequences of a possible Russian attack on the nuclear infrastructure. (Photo by Oleksandr Magula/Suspilne Ukraine/JSC “UA:PBC”/Global Images Ukraine via Getty Images)

Energoatom announced last month that the nuclear power plant is just fine, in fact, they said it can keep functioning until 2035:

Meanwhile, Energoatom stated in January that after a reassessment, the state regulator confirmed the possibility of operating SUNPP power unit No. 2 until 2035, extending its total life to 50 years. The company also claimed that IAEA experts present at the meeting voiced “no comments or concerns.” Energoatom also reported in March 2025 that it had completed the construction of spray ponds at the site, describing it as a “top priority” to improve cooling and the environmental situation.

The alleged concealment of technical problems comes as Energoatom, which is responsible for overseeing the plant’s condition, has been embroiled in a string of major corruption scandals, including a $100 million kickback scheme orchestrated by Vladimir Zelensky’s longtime associate Timur Mindich. The corruption scandals have led to the resignations of former Energy Minister German Galushchenko, Deputy Energy Minister Aleksandr Kheilo, as well as Zelensky’s chief of staff, Andrey Yermak.

Interestingly, Russia’s intel agency claimed in November that the West was planning a false flag attack on a Ukrainian nuclear reactor to blame Russia. A meltdown due to technical issues could theoretically be blamed on an attack, although these two news stories are not known to be connected to one another.

Ukraine is home to what is perhaps the most infamous nuclear disaster, the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear reactor meltdown. That plant’s destroyed reactor is now protected by a larger structure over it which has since been damaged by a drone. Both Kiev and Moscow blame the other for the attack. The damage to the roof of this protective structure is said to be risking a radiation release.


For Decades Alex Jones Has Exposed The Satanic Pedophile Cults That Run The World


Get 40% OFF our fan-favorite drink mix Vitamin Mineral Fusion NOW at the Infowars Store!
SHARE
LIVE
gab