Skip to content

Venezuela Reacts to US Airspace Closure Threat

Caracas says an attack on its airlines would constitute an act of aggression

Venezuela Reacts to US Airspace Closure Threat Image Credit: Jesus Vargas/Getty Images
SHARE
LIVE
gab

Venezuela has rejected US President Donald Trump’s threat to shut down its airspace as an illegal “colonialist” attack on its sovereignty.

Trump, who accuses Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro of leading a drug cartel, intensified his warnings against “narcoterrorists” on Saturday. “To all Airlines, Pilots, Drug Dealers, and Human Traffickers, please consider THE AIRSPACE ABOVE AND SURROUNDING VENEZUELA TO BE CLOSED IN ITS ENTIRETY,” he wrote on his Truth Social platform.

His comments came amid a US military buildup near the Venezuelan coast and strikes on alleged cartel boats in international waters.

The Venezuelan Foreign Ministry issued a statement condemning “the colonialist threat aimed at undermining the sovereignty of its airspace.”

“This type of declaration constitutes a hostile, unilateral, and arbitrary act, incompatible with the most fundamental principles of international law,” the statement said.

Trump has refused to rule out military operations on Venezuelan territory and hinted during his Thanksgiving message to troops that strikes could soon follow.

Maduro has denied any ties to cartels and warned Washington against starting “a crazy war” in the region. He previously placed the armed forces on high alert and held several drills.

The US Federal Aviation Administration has warned airlines of a “potentially hazardous situation” when flying over Venezuela. Caracas has responded by suspending flights from six international carriers.


Stephen Miller DROPS THE HAMMER on Deep State Democrats Who Directed Members of the US Military to Defy the President’s Orders


Get 40% OFF our fan-favorite drink mix Vitamin Mineral Fusion NOW at the Infowars Store!
SHARE
LIVE
gab